Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hello, My Name is Sarah Wendell

What is it about writing as a stranger that is so much better than writing as yourself? For a project this summer, I was given the liberty to write as anyone who could speak as an authority on the subject of green building. I chose Sarah Wendell, a sustainably-minded San Francisco resident. And God, I loved it. I think I know why is was so invigorating, and I suspect it has something to do with choosing a life for myself. Sarah is older, settled, and completely sure in her voice. She works. Actually, she is a sought-after architect. She's got Lulu and Rob (dog and husband, respectively). And let me tell you, her husband is a looker. Women do double-takes as he walks Lulu down the city streets.

Me? I sleep in my Brooklyn apartment on a mattress on the floor, looking for work and dreaming of buying a set of drawers or a chair to sit on (may seem a small thing, but when you have nothing to sit on, you soon realize that the two options-standing and reclining- are vastly overrated). Bet Sarah Wendell's apartment has some damn seating. She is in a sweet, content kind of love. I am frozen in this new situation, waiting for my life to start again. I'm not unhappy, just waiting.

So here are the words I wish I could write from the kind of life I wish I had.
http://puredesignmagazine.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/a-pure-design-by-sarah-wendell/#comments
http://puredesignmagazine.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/searching-for-inspiration-by-sarah-wendell/
*Note the comment from a poor stranger who thought this fictitious person was real.

No comments:

Post a Comment