Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole: Diving into the World of YA Fiction

In the vain assumption that someone, ANYONE, besides my mom is reading this blog, I’ll explain its purpose. First and foremost, it’s somewhat of a necessity that I a) write and b) have an outlet for thoughts/stories other than my poor roommates who are constantly obliged to listen to the same anecdote over and over. And with the volume of new information I’m learning in and, more often, out of school (did you know that in New York duct tape placed across your nipples can be classifies as a ‘shirt’?), a blog seemed the perfect channel for such verbiage.

Second, this blog will serve as a medium by which to explore themes and trends in YA fiction. I wish I could say that this second, more critical role is the impetus for reading these novels and writing this blog. As an Adult with a capital A, my days of curling up with the latest series addition (Will S and B remain friends? Will Georgia snog Robbie? Will the Sisterhood ever find their beloved PANTS?!?) should be long behind me. Still, I find myself sneaking into the Teen Reading section of bookstores, staring lovingly at the glossy bindings, and planting myself on the ground to scour the large type of the latest hormone and angst-fueled teen craze. Sadly, at the end of the day I return them to the shelves and walk out of the store with my so-called age-appropriate reads. The difference between me and the thirteen year old to my right, arms bedecked with silly bands, telling me about the latest Zac Efron movie? 4 years of sociology classes and a healthy dose of skepticism. My hope is that I become immersed in the market, that I find what makes a YA novel something teens really do read, remember, and tell their friends about. I promise to keep the sarcasm in check… kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment